This information will make sure you are fully informed about how Farrar & Tanner (owned and managed by the Outdoor 365 Group) uses your data and your rights in relation to this.
Who is the Outdoor365 group?
The Outdoor365 group (which we’ll refer to as ‘the Group’ in this document) is made up of several related ecommerce platforms:
Farrar & Tanner, Multi-tool Store, Swiss-Store, Buck Store, Gerber Store and Led-Torch.
The Group is registered with Companies House in the UK as Outdoor365 Ltd. Company Registration No: 6601597
The legal basis we rely on
Data protection law includes a number of reasons a company may collect and use your personal data. These include:
When you request to receive e-mail newsletters you give us your consent to collect and process your data. There are a number of situations where you are able to give your consent in this way.
If you place an order with us we will collect your address details for delivery and pass these onto our courier. We need this type of personal data to comply with our contractual obligations with yourself.
When required by law, such as when selling age restricted items (bladed products, alcohol etc.) we are required to collect and process your data.
When do we collect your personal data?
- On our websites and during phone calls when an order is placed.
- If an online order is processed using a “guest” account.
- When setting up an account with the Group where you can manage your details and view your purchase history.
- During any correspondence on social media platforms.
- On signing up to a loyalty programme.
- When you enter competitions.
- When a comment or review is left for our products and services.
- During any conversation regarding queries, complaints etc. either online or by phone.
- When a third-party shares with us any of your personal data with your consent.
What sort of personal data do we collect?
- If you place an order with us we will collect your name, date of birth, billing/delivery address, email and telephone number.
- Payment card information.
- Identity documents as required by law to provide proof of age (such as your passport and driver's licence). These documents include your full name, address, date of birth and facial image. If you provide a passport, the data will also include your place of birth, gender and nationality.
- Your browsing history in relation to our websites and apps and which sites led you to ours.
- Personal details such as your purchase, search and viewing history on our websites to personalize your shopping experience.
- Your comments and product reviews.
- To deliver the best possible web experience, we collect technical information about your internet connection and browser as well as the country and telephone code where your computer is located, the web pages viewed during your visit, the advertisements you clicked on, and any search terms you entered.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
It is always your choice if you share these details with us.
In some circumstances, if you choose not to provide your details we may not be able to provide all the services you request (more information is provided in the following section).
How and why do we use your personal data?
To give you the best possible customer experience and bring you offers and promotions that are most relevant to you, we combine your personal data gathered from each of our ecommerce platforms. We also use this data alongside that which we obtain from third parties to whom you have given your consent to pass that data onto us.
By doing this we are able to build a better understanding of what promotions, products and services are most likely to be of interest to you.
The data privacy law allows this as part of our legitimate interest in understanding our customers and providing the highest levels of service.
If you wish to change how we use your data, you’ll find details in the ‘What are my rights and how do I make changes to my personal data preferences?’ section.
It is important to remember that if you choose not to share your personal data with us, or refuse certain contact permissions, we may not be able to provide some services you’ve asked for. Examples of this are:
- To process any orders that you make by using our websites/calling us we will need to collect your personal data during checkout. Without this information we won’t be able to process your order and comply with our legal obligations. Your details may also need to be passed to a third party to allow delivery of your order. We will keep this information for a reasonable period after completion to ensure we can fulfil contractual obligations such as refunds, guarantees etc.
- To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints we must handle the information which you have provided to us. A record of this information may be kept to assist with any future communication with us you may have and to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout. This allows us to provide you with the best service possible and is in line with our contractual and legal obligations and our legitimate interests.
- To process payments and to prevent fraudulent transactions.
- With your consent, your personal data including your preferences and purchase history will be used to update you via e-mail and post of relevant products, tailored special offers, discounts, events, competitions etc.
- To ensure a personal and relevant shopping experience, we will use personal data relating to your favourite products to show your recently viewed items and products based on your purchase history. We do so on the basis of your consent to receive app notifications and/or for our website to place cookies or similar technology on your device.
- To administer any of our competitions which you enter, based on your consent given at the time of entering.
- To improve the service we provide your data will be used to develop and test the systems and products we provide. This is done as part of our legitimate business interests.
- To comply with our legal obligations regarding the sale of age restricted products including bladed items and alcohol.
How we protect your personal data
Data security is of the upmost importance to all of our customers and as such we take many steps to ensure it is protected at all times.
All transactional areas of our websites and apps are secured using ‘https’ technology.
Access to your personal data is password-protected, and sensitive data (such as payment card information) is secured by SSL encryption.
How long will we keep your personal data?
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll keep it on file for a maximum of 25 years. This is the maximum warranty period for a number of our products, so if you have an issue we can recall your purchase.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties including:
- Magento & Global-e: Platform providers who deliver our websites.
- Royal Mail, APC, DHL and Asendia: Our delivery couriers.
- Google/Meta/Microsoft Ads: To show you products that might interest you while you’re browsing the internet. This is based on either your marketing consent or your acceptance of cookies on our websites. See our Cookies Policy for details.
- Age Checked.com: Our credit reference agency to verify your age for purchase of age restricted products.
We apply a policy with these parties to keep your data and privacy safe:
- Only the information required to complete their service is provided.
- Your privacy is protected at all times and we work closely with third parties to ensure this.
- If we stop working with a third party, your data will be deleted or rendered anonymous.
What are my rights and how do I make changes to my personal data preferences?
You have the right to:
- Access and make corrections to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases.
- Withdraw your consent when you may have previously given us your consent to use your personal data so that the group stop any consent-based processing.
- Request that we stop using your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interests due to your individual situation. We must do so unless we believe there is an overriding legitimate reason to continue processing your data.
- Request that we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels). We must always comply with your request.
To stop receiving direct marketing communications from us you can:
- Contact us directly to request an amendment.
- Click the unsubscribe button at the foot of any marketing e-mail you receive from us to be directed to your marketing preferences.
You have the right to request a copy of any information about you that the Outdoor 365 Group holds at any time, and also to have that information corrected if it is inaccurate. To ask for your information, please contact the Data Protection Officer via email@example.com. It is also possible to amend your information through your online account.
If we choose not to action your request we will explain to you the reasons for our refusal.